Monday, December 5, 2011

An early Christmas present

Wow!  Two posts back-to-back- that's a real feat around here!  Anyway, the past couple of times I have been to Fry's I noticed that they had several home appliances on sale.  After looking closer I found they had a StirCrazy Popcorn popper (regularly $44.99!) on sale for $19.88.  Well I have had my mind set on buying one as a "family" Christmas present for months, so I couldn't pass it up!  I knew the kids would be stoked since this is the type that Grandma has!  I can't lie, I was SO excited to break that thing out because I knew how ecstatic they would be. So we waited until Cam woke up from his nap and then I surprised them- I think they must have thanked me 1000 times.  Our kiddos (especially Mc & Cam) LOVE popcorn so this will be so FUN to have :)




We seemed to be missing the instruction book so the Daddy detoured to the computer to find them so here we are figuring out what comes next..




The popcorn is in, now we watch, and wait..


And after a few short minutes, here they are, SHOVELING in the finished product!  And fairly certain it will be requested again today as the after-school snack.

It was so fun to get an early gift- especially one that is so practical- and simple :)  The past couple of years the focus on gifts and over-doing of Christmas in general has gotten to me more.  Honestly, (and sadly) it has probably been driven more by a tightened budget than anything else.  But I have definitely noticed the past couple of years that in the Christmas aftermath, much of the "stuff" is quickly put aside and sometimes even forgotten.  It really does become overwhelming- not only from a clutter standpoint but to the kids as well.  We have TONS of toys yet it fails to quell the B-word (Mom, I'm BORED, there's nothing to do... Really!?).    And, the more "stuff" they get, the more they want- it never ends.  I recently read about something one Mom does to keep Christmas simple and her family more focused on the real meaning of this season, Jesus.  Each of her children get 4 gifts- something they want, something they need, something to wear and something to read.  Brilliant!  Not only that but it pretty much covers all the bases.  We may have to consider implementing that...

I also think about how I want our kids remember Christmas when they reflect about it as adults and have their own families.  I definitely don't want them to feel that it was a time of everyone rushing around and being harried in general.  I read an interesting post today at Encouraging Hearts at Home.  I linked it to FB but it was so good it it's worth noting here.  I especially enjoyed her perspective about that as Moms we shift from being the recipients of Christmas to the "bringers" of it.  So true!

Here's to bringing our families a wonderful, grace-filled holiday season and to celebrating the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus!

She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for He will save his people from their sins.
Matthew 1:21 

No comments:

Post a Comment